Thursday, January 06, 2011

Chocolate Gravy

I want to share a true Southern Tradition with you. This food tradition was passed down from my grandmothers and Barry's. All of them used to make this on occasion. It was always a special treat. We now make it on Thanksgiving and Christmas morning and for birthday breakfasts if requested.

Okay, we also make it every once and a while when we get a craving! I have non-Southern friends who snub their noses at chocolate gravy, but it is mouth watering goodness.  (They were not quite as appalled when they understood it went on biscuits and not meat and potatoes.)


 (Here is our table set for Christmas morning breakfast with Santa's note and plate of cookies from Audrey at the end.)


I think it is like a delicious warm chocolate bread pudding but my husband, who does not like bread pudding, disagrees.  I guess that means you have to try it for yourself.  We have used the Hershey's Special Dark powder to make our last batch and if you like dark chocolate it is super yum!  The girls didn't like that as much we just used one tablespoon of Special Dark this last time.  Nice compromise.

Grandma's Chocolate Gravy
(Serve with warm biscuits.)

3 Tbsp. cocoa
3 Tbsp. flour (You can sub arrowroot powder or an alternative to wheat.)
dash of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cocoa, sugar, and flour in medium saucepan. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook on medium heat until thick. Turn off heat. Add butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is melted. Serve with hot biscuits.

2 comments:

Angelia said...

Always wanted to try this... I will, I will!!! LOVE your blog! Keep on a-writin'!! :)

Shawna said...

I hope you like it! Obviously it is one of our favorites.