Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cheaterpants Gravy

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  I blame college.  Seriously.  I don't have time for anything else lately.  Hence the big gap in blog posts.  Two papers so far this semester then midterms.  I have been slightly neurotic and overwhelmed.  I was on a quick trip to Branson with my Girl Scouts a few weeks ago and was educated by friends concerning The Pioneer Woman.  I even hear my non-foody friends moan, "I would looovvvee to cook at Ree's house with her!" After spending a huge amount of procrastination time on her site one day last week, I get it.  The sad thing is, if someone from our house got an invite to Ree's house it would probably be my husband.  He was blessed with Memaw's cooking genes. 

One of his specialties is pot roast.  Funny enough it is very similar to Ree's recipe, which we checked out today when we were starting our pot roast.  The only differences are these: he does not like carrots so we skip that step and he also dredges the roast in flour, salt, and pepper.  (My Grandma Vera taught us how to cook pot roast not long after we were married.  It was time well spent.)  He also likes a thicker gravy rather than pan juice and sometimes we make it from scratch, but other times we are total cheaterpants.  If you are not a homemade gravy maker, we have a recipe for you. 

Cheaterpants  Gravy
 After your roast has cooked strain the pan juices.  (This helps to get any pieces of fat out.)  He then puts a packet or two of brown gravy mix in the same pan he braised the roast in.  Then just add the pan juice instead of water.  If you follow Ree's directions on adding beef stock you will have plenty of pan juice.  This. makes. all. the. difference. in. the. world.

If lumps are a problem we break out the potato masher.  A real one.  Not the one with a single squiggly bar.  By the way, those are not lumps in the picture above.  They are little chunks of roast.  Yes, it is as good as it sounds.  No one would ever think it was not homemade gravy.   
 
Grandma Mason's potato masher
 
  Midterms are over but I have a thesis and outline due Tuesday so I may be quiet for a while yet, but I'll be around.  I have so many ideas, so many things I want to share and I feel restricted by school right now, which is unusual for me because even with all the craziness that it adds to my life I have loved going back to school.  It is a dream in progress.  




No comments: