Friday, December 16, 2011

Dream a little dream with me


I have been struggling with what to do with myself.  I love being at home for my children.  I do not want to change that aspect of my life, but we really could use extra income.  Really, who couldn't? We were talking on the phone, he and I, mulling over ideas.  I am a pretty spoiled having not worked for anyone but myself for most of the fifteen years we have been married. (Except for five years at a dentist's office part time.) I have sold Home Interior and Pampered Chef, babysat, cleaned houses, typed, whatever seemed good at the time.  The thought of being tied to someone's schedule beside my family's is not what I want.   

Now I want something more settled but I still want my freedom.  There is a new certification being offered at my University and I am thinking about tagging it on here at the end while I am so close to graduation.  Teaching English as a second language.  A mere fifteen hours.  Since I usually jump in with both feet and then wonder how to get out of the hole, I thought I would get a job as a tutor and see if I liked it.  So, I am going to see how this works out.  I am going to call and check into it tomorrow.  I really hope it is a job I can love because it ties in with a dream.

I want to travel.  A lot.  But what I really fancy more is actually living in other countries for a bit to explore, to learn, to absorb.  I have read a about teaching English abroad and I would not necessarily have to have a teaching degree if I have experience.  So my plan is to write, write, write, and tutor and some day when Barry retires I will teach English abroad and we will live in foreign places like gypsies.  

It may sound silly, or impractical, but it is still a dream.  In saying it out loud I make it a goal also.  I have a Thing To Work Toward.  If the dream changes, if the goal changes, that is okay.  It is always good to have one though.  He, well he is warming up to the dream.  We are funny he and I.  Change scares me but he is fine with it.  Dreams seem to scare him but I could not live without them.  It seems the two would go together but they do not in us.  That is fine though.  Together we make it just fine.      

No comments: